Friday, March 14, 2014

The Longer I'm Prime Minister: Steven Harper and Canada, 2006-- (Paul Wells)


Two days ago I was about fifty pages into this book and I hadn't touched it in over a month. Today, I'm done, after a marathon day of reading yesterday and an hour or so spent reading this morning. I wanted to finish it last night, but midnight came and went and I had an early bus to catch in the morning.

I had my reservations about reading The Longer I'm Prime Minister because I knew it was about Harper. I was afraid it would one of those "lovey-dovey" books in which the author sings the praises of the Conservative leader and tells us why Conservatives are the only ones who had safely see Canada into through the next century. I was pleasantly surprised when Paul Wells began to critique Harper. However, Wells wasn't tipping his hat in the direction of any other party. He was just as hard on the Liberals, Bloc and NDP.

Perhaps it is because I am a political science major, but I read through this book with the same hunger and suspense that many readers devour romance novels, YA fiction, or thrillers. Of course I already knew the narrative, having lived through a great deal of it from the time my political awareness began in about 2008 up until 2013, when the book was published.

Overall, I was quite satisfied with Paul Well's analysis of the Conservative Party and of the last decade or so. The part that gives me chills is the way in which Harper's government has endeavored to decentralize and privatize Canada. I am concerned by the a government that places corporations and their profits before social programs and the environment.

I wish I could vote right now for a new government. After all, I didn't pick Harper. I didn't even have a say last time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment