Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Value Village Book Finds

A new Value Village second hand shop went in not far from my home about a month ago, so I rode the bus out today and browsed their book section. I found seven books, including an Everyman's Library and few vintage New Canadian Library paperbacks.
My favourite find today was this expo67 guide book. It only cost me $1.50. I've been fascinated with the Montreal 1967 World Exposition since I was 15. I'm happy to be able to add it to my collection of expo67 and Canadian centennial memorabilia. 



I found two New Canadian Library editions. I already own Stephen Leacock's Sunshine Sketches if a Little Town in another edition, but since I collect these vintage NCL editions, I was pleased to pick it up.  


I also found an NCL edition of Anna Brownell Jameson's Winter Studies and Summer Rambles in Canada, a work which I was introduced to while taking a class in early Canadian literature last summer. 
Additionally, I picked up the Coles Notes for Hugh MacLennan's Two Solitudes, a Canadian classic which I've loved since high school. I don't really need the Coles Notes, but they're a neat collectors item for my Canadian Lit. collection. 
I was pleased to come across A Military History of Canada by Desmond Morton, a book which I've heard good things about. The synopsis indicates that it questions that idea of Canada as a peacekeeping nation. With our current involvements in the war against ISIS and in the Ukraine, I think this is a very timely book for me to read. 
Last of all, I picked up this 1950 Everyman's Library edition of Peer Gynt by Isben. 

No comments:

Post a Comment