Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Fiddlehead: Atlantic Canada's International Literary Journal No.258 Winter 2014


I finally read my first issue of "The Fiddlehead." The Winter issue arrived more than a month ago, but somehow it shifted from the top of my dresser, to my desk, to the top of my record player, back to the desk and then onto the dresser again before I finally threw it my book bag this morning just before I caught the bus into the city for class. I subscribed in January and have to say I'm quite impressed with my first issue. "The Fiddlehead" is a quarterly literary publication, which is more of a book than a magazine. Over my bus rides and the moments I had before my class on foreign policy began, I read through the whole issue, all 100+ pages.

I could go into detail about every poem and short story in the issue, but I won't as that would take a very long time. I will say that I was impressed by the opener to the issue, a short story titled "The Disaster Equation" by Jane Rogers about a small group which encounters a number of misfortunes aboard a boat and a poem titled "Me the Man in a Hurry" by Alberto Rios, a collection of humorous lines about not wanting to pass a woman on the sidewalk in a small town.

I look forward to the remaining three volumes of my subscription to "The Fiddlehead" and would recommend the literary journal to readers of literature in any country.

No comments:

Post a Comment