Friday, October 17, 2014

The Elements of Style (William Strunk Jr. & E.B.White)


William Strunk's portion of The Elements of Style is nearly 100 years old. In 1919, when E.B.White attended college, Strunk assigned his self-published "little book" for an English class. It wasn't until 1957, after the death of Strunk, that E.B.White revised and added on to The Elements of Style that the book was published in the mass market and become the classic it is today. 

The book came to me as recommended reading for an Arts Writing course I'm taking this fall. It spans a mere 85 pages + glossary and index, but I've found space for it in my desk because I see it will quickly become my little red book and my bible for grammar, style and word usage. The layout and language are straightforward and although I don't agree with all the do and don'ts of word usage, I'd recommend it for any student or professional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment