Tuesday, October 7, 2014

3 Books I Can't Wait to Read . . . But Haven't Yet

Like many people, I own a lot of books I haven't read yet. To use the popular phrase, I have a very large TBR and yet I keep buying and buying because there's always just one more book that will look good on my shelves and feel perfect in my hands. In general . . .  I own a lot of books. 


With every month that goes by, I acquire more books. Usually, I read what I've bought most recently. This means that, unfortunately, there are books that I've said-- time and time again--I really want to read that are still sitting on my shelves unread. 


Exhibit A: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. 
I bought this book two Christmases  ago at Barnes and Nobles south of the border. I've picked it up so many times. I've even put it in my bag and carried it places, but I've yet to get past the cover. I've heard so many great things about it, but still, it sits on the shelf unread. 


Exhibit B: Utopia by Thomas More
I bought this on Amazon last spring and intended to read it right away, but somehow it became buried on the back of my secretary desk under all three volumes of Marx's Capital and the Origin of Species, three books I have also not read yet. 


Exhibit C: The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
This copy is beautiful. It even smells good--like the old book shop I bought it in over the summer. I don't know whether to be embarrassed for having  not read this book or not. I got about 40 pages in when I was in high school and gave up. I made it through The Three Musketeers, Jane Eyre and A Tale of Two Cities, but somehow, this one was a little too much for me at the time. I know when I do try to read it again, it will be a breeze to get through.

 

If there's anybody reading this blog, what are some books you've been meaning to read and want to read, but haven't? Leave a comment, if you like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment