Friday, June 20, 2014

Tell the Wolves I'm Home (Carol Rifka Brunt)


Set in the 1980's, Tell the Wolves I'm Home deals with thirteen year old June and her family as they cope with the death of June's uncle Finn after he succumbs to AIDS. June realizes early on in the book that her uncle, who she had known was gay, had also had a boyfriend whom she never met. 

I read this book in an afternoon. I don't think I set it down for more than a few moments at any point. It's difficult to watch a young girl deal with the death of someone she was close to, but it's even more difficult to watch the people around her skirt around the cause of his death and speak of AIDS as if it was something they could catch by breathing the same air as someone with it. What made the story even more heartbreaking was Junes affection for her Uncle Finn, an affection that even her own mother realized, was slightly inappropriate. 

It's the kind of book that leaves you sitting and thinking afterwards. You close the final page and you sit in your chair, sipping your tea--which has gone cold--until you finally stand up and move on. It's a book that make you feel. 

I first heard about this book through the book-tuber TheReading Rhodeshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx8kl9eXr3I

No comments:

Post a Comment