Sunday, March 9, 2014

Yesterday the children were dancing, by Gratien Gelinas (a play)


Yesterday the Children Were Dancing by Gratien Galinas is one the best pieces of Canadian literature I've read. I first picked up the play a little over two years ago, after finding a copy in a paper recycling dumpster. At the time, I had just begun to explore French-Canadian history and Canadian literature.

The play offers a vivid and emotionally impacting snapshot of Quebec during the early 1960's, a time when a small number of separatists escalated to violence. I loved it on my first read and every read afterwards. Although it's been a while since I've read the book, I was reminded of it today and wanted to share it. Copies are hard to find, but finding one is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment